First Day of School {Miss August}

August 12, 2013

This past week I had my first day of school.  Yes, I’ve had 16 first days of school if you count college, but this first day was a lot different.  I WAS THE TEACHER.  Mind blown.  I still can’t really believe that a university saw fit to let me graduate and go out and teach children all by myself.  Ha!  Don’t get me wrong, I was a great student and was prepared as I could be.  But, I am a firm believer that school teachers teach you about 20% of what you need to know to be a teacher.  The other 80% is getting your hands dirty and just DOING IT. Doing what’s best for your students even if every other teacher is doing something else.  Reteaching something six times because you really want that light bulb to turn on.  There are so many things that I will do as a teacher that wasn’t taught in my program. And that kind of scares me.  I’m a planner by nature.  I like to know things way far in advance because I’m not a fan of doing things on the fly.  Not knowing what to expect or what to do in every situation makes me feel out of control times a million.  But you know what?

15a17516ff9311e28c9e22000a9f308e_7

I will never have every answer.  I will never be prepared for every situation. There are so many “I will nevers” that I could say here.  However… I can and will be a great teacher despite those “I will never” statements if I allow myself to fully grasp the idea that sometimes I will fail, and that’s okay, as long as I’m actively trying.  I have to learn to bloom where I am planted.  I am planted in a second grade classroom with nine little people.  I am a first year teacher.  I’m not planted in a room in 2020 when I’ve been a teacher for 7 years.  I’m not planted in a place where I have more experience.  I’m simply planted in a sweet little room that I am able to call mine for the first time.  I can’t stress over not doing “this” right or not teaching “that” like the lady down the hall.  I have to fully be aware of the place I am planted.  In time, I’ll be somewhere else and I might know more about doing “this” right and teaching “that” the way the seasoned teacher does.

But, I’m not there yet.  And that’s okay.  For now, I am just a first year teacher.  And I am going to do my best to love these babies, teach them all I can, and thrive through it all.  I’m going to bloom in the precious classroom I’ve been planted in.

 

Read more about how Nicole is blooming over at her blog…bloom.

Heather Barnes August 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This is so encouraging, Nicole! I am “planted” in a fourth grade classroom for my student-teaching this year, and in January or August I could very well be in your shoes as a first-year teacher. God has prepared you, and will provide for all of those freak-out moments! God bless those precious little second graders. Just from reading your blog, I know they are in capable and prayerful hands 🙂

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: